Friday, September 2, 2011

Mighty Mite, AllParts replacement necks for Fender

I just read a review that made me feel that I needed to write my own review to offer a counter opinion. This review was extolling the virtues of Mighty Mite guitar necks and is titled "Mighty Mite Replacement Necks 2007" by east_coast_custom_shop.
I would just like to respectfully offer my own opinion on the matter. I have used Mighty Mite necks, and I believe they are of decent quality, but fall short in a few areas that would make them qualify as a true quality neck. First is the frets. I have been disappointed with the size of frets on Mighty Mite necks: what they call a "Medium Jumbo" is closer to what others would call "thin", what they call "Jumbo" is closer to what others would call "medium". Next are the nuts, which are very cheap plastic nuts. They really should be replaced and are set in with glue so care must be excercised in removing them to replace them with a quality nut. MM necks are finished in a very thin satin finish, which is about what you get with a Squier type guitar. When I have used them I would always apply additional finish to the necks.
The other writer gepares Mighty Mite to genuine Fender and Warmoth in terms of quality, and states that in his experience MM blows away all other makers in terms of quality. I would have to say that besides Fender and Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, Musikraft, AllParts and WD offer necks that are much higher quality than Mighty Mite.
What Mighty Mite does offer are significant discounts to resellers for a licensed Fender neck. This is why you see so many of them on okay. Also, many custom builders use them for this same reason. I know this because I am a reseller for many guitar parts wholesalers. I have not been very active in reselling parts because I have chosen to concentrate on building the best guitars I can build. Which brings me to offer my opinion on AllParts necks. I have found these necks to be of vastly superior quality to Mighty Mite, but they are intended for use by an experienced guitar technician or builder. Most do not have a finish, which allows the builder to finish the neck for himself. AllParts necks do not have nuts pre-installed, nor do they have any fretwork done; the fret ends are "raw" requiring that they be smoothed before installation. A Mighty Mite neck has a minimal amount of fretwork done, and along with the minimal finish and minimal nut, can be bolted straight on to a body, have tuners installed and used ... which is again part of the reason many builders go with Migthy Mite. You can spot a Mighty Mite neck because it will have a headstock truss adjustment "bullet"that has a black plastic insert in it. From a distance it looks similar to later model Fenders which have an insert of dark wood.
Mighty Mite necks are made in Korea in the same factory that Fender used to have Squiers made, which would be Samick. I have read thatAllParts necks are made in Japan in the same factory that supplies necks to Fender Japan (which are not imported to the United States becasue they out-gepete the USA made models in terms of quality.) Once you do the proper fretwork on an AllParts neck, the playability and tone is second to none, I would choose them over Warmoth at the same price.
The bottom line is that while Mighty Mite offers an acceptable replacement neck, they should not be considered of the same quality as AllParts, Warmoth or Genuine Fender, (unless your Genuine Fender is a Squier). I'm not saying they are bad necks, but that there are better ones out there for those looking for a true quality replacement.

No comments:

Post a Comment