Sunday, August 2, 2009

Feedback from buyer cannot be neutral? Tyranny rules

Ebay wants everyone to be happy, happy, happy. But what if we are not ecstatic and want to provide honest feedback? Apparently, this is not allowed. More and more, I notice that sellers have high shipping fees that do not in any way match the real cost of postage. Okay -- that's another way for sellers to make their money and, after all, it is posted and we (the buyer) are making an informed decision about the real cost of the item we are willing to buy (our top bid postage = selling price). I figure that I get to comment on the shipping charge in the feedback realm, right? Wrong because ebay only allows for happy feedback. I just wrote out feedback for 5 recently purchased items -- I rated three as positive, saying > in the comment area. I checked all the boxes "positive". I pushed Submit and all was well -- happy, happy feedback. Then I prepared feedback on the other two, both of which were fine items, fine transactions, but postage fees were high. I entered > in the comment area, checked Neutral as the overall transaction rating and checked positive for 3 of the boxes and neutral for the shipping question. Tried to submit these comments but ebay stopped me and interjected something along the lines of "You are about to leave neutral or negative feedback. Consider these possibilities -- did you contact seller to resolve problem? did you wait long enough to receive item in light of mail sometimes taking a long time? did you just leave honest and impersonal feedback?????? I checked the last box because the feedback was, in fact, honest and impersonal and pushed Submit but NOOOOO, feedback was not accepted. I tried this a number of ways and everytime was shut out of leaving honest and impersonal feedback. This leaves me not feeling good about the notion of feedback. Are we only allowed to love every transaction? What about the notion of ebay being a community based on feedback setting the rules of the marketplace so that we are all able to make informed decisions about who we buy from and what the caveats might be. Is there some suggestion somewhere that if we do not like the shipping fee posted on an ebay listing we should contact the seller and say so, asking for a reduction? Is there etiquette that I do not know about? Have I violated the code? Would love to hear some feedback on my feedback about not being able to leave real and candid feedback. Kathleen



Orignal From: Feedback from buyer cannot be neutral? Tyranny rules

No comments:

Post a Comment